"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Power of a Word of Encouragement

"A word aptly spoken
   is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11


For months I've been crippled from moving forward - stagnant and unable to see past some criticism I received. Those words caused me to question a call I know God placed on my life. I didn't deny or reject God's calling, but was paralyzed to break free from the shroud of doubt and move forward. I knew I needed to get past the situation, but seemed immobilized. I had the image of drowning and reaching out for a hand to help pull me above the abyss, but finding none.

Words of affirmation and encouragement from my husband and friends didn't penetrate the fog I found myself in the middle of. I prayed and prayed, but still no direction or answers or leadings. I was at an impasse. Then yesterday I received words of affirmation from a colleague. They weren't much different from what I had been hearing from my support system, but for some reason it finally broke through and changed my outlook on the situation. Since then, creativity and ideas are flowing.

What a blessing to receive a word of encouragement when I needed it the most. My friend Sandra's words were aptly spoken, like apples of gold in settings of silver. May I look for those opportunities to speak words of encouragement in a dark situation to those I meet.

Thanks Sandra. This one's for you! :)

3 comments:

Sandra Orchard said...

So pleased to hear the ideas and passion have been rekindled. And who knows, but the emotions you've been feeling this past while may be very much like what your heroine will wrestle through. :) Big hug!

Jodie Wolfe said...

Thanks again Sandra. Like the idea of future wrestling for a character. :) Blessings!

Dorothy said...

I hear you, where the doubts are concerned. So glad to read a turn around has pushed you out of that stagnant place. Blessings to you for a wonderful 2012!