"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Balance

Have you ever tried to do to carry too many things at once? Perhaps it is grocery bags that you are carrying in from the car. You take as many as possible so it means less trips back and forth from the car to the house. You have it perfectly balanced until suddenly something slips in one of the bags which puts everything else off balance. Before you know it you have a jar of spaghetti sauce crashing to the floor with shards of glass and sauce everywhere. Now I haven't actually dropped a jar of spaghetti sauce but I have dropped a gallon of milk before. It completely shatters as well. Not fun when a gallon of milk is close to $4 a gallon right now.

At times we can be involved in too many activities or have too many responsibilities on our plate. We get to the point where we spread ourselves too thin. We become useless in many areas. We become weary and stressed. We spin our wheels and don't get much accomplished. There is so much to do that we are overwhelmed with where to begin.

This is what I have been experiencing lately. Too many balls trying to juggle and experiencing a lot of stress in the process and little to show for what has been done. Also throw in stress from the current frustrations my husband has been experiencing since June with no relief in sight, as well as a cross country injury that my oldest son has experienced that involves physical therapy twice a week and his being off his feet as much as possible. This means a lot of extra running for me. Needless to say I have been feeling weary, overwhelmed and discouraged.

I guess I need to keep in mind the words of Jesus in Matthew 11:28-29, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Today are you weary and in need of rest? Why not crawl into your Heavenly Father's lap and experience His rest.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Amen!!
Great Post, There is a saying, "Stop and smell the Roses".
And I can relate always trying to get the groceries in all at one time, but I will make a extra lap for the milk, It's just plain heavy! But yes this world is going just to fast isn't it. Please know you and your family are in my prayers..
Be Blessed my sister
Sharon