"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, November 9, 2009

Preparation - Part Two

A few days ago I wrote about preparing for the upcoming holidays. Over the weekend, my husband and I did some further work and planning in this regard. We looked through and figured out who we need gifts for, looked at what we already had, and started making a list of what we need to purchase or make. It was a tedious project, but I now have a clear plan on what needs to get accomplished in the next few weeks. We both know what projects we need to work on making and have a list of what to look for whenever we get the opportunity to be out shopping.

Having a clear list is a blessing to me. It allows me to go into a store and know exactly what I am looking for. I can resist temptation of buying things I don't need, that aren't on my list. But those times when I head to the store without a list, it is so much easier to overspend or indulge in things that I really don't need.

Perhaps we should approach our lives and our walk with the Lord in a similar way. Ask God to show us areas or things that we need to work on, to become a better Christian. Maybe it would help to make a list, whether mental, or one where we actually write things down.
  • Be kind.
  • Choose to eat healthy remembering that my body is God's temple.
  • Show gratitude.
  • Be more loving.
I think the Lord wants us to be more intentional about our spiritual growth. As we prepare our hearts for the holidays, perhaps we also need to do some soul searching and allow the Holy Spirit to show us areas that we need to work on to become more Christlike. What better way to celebrate the holidays, than to have a heart that is more in-tuned with the Lord.

No comments: