"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, October 22, 2009

As the Deer

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God." Psalm 42:1

It is a beautiful fall morning here in PA. I was up early to take my son to work. We left before sunrise. We have about a 35 minute drive each way. Right after I dropped him off and I was leaving the camp where he works one day a week as a maintenance assistant, I came around a curve in the road. The rays of sun and light misty fog illuminated two young deer standing serenely in the middle of the road. They looked my way and then meandered off the road to the meadow.

My thoughts immediately went to the verse printed above. That is my prayer for today. That my soul will long to be in communion with the Lord. As a man in the desert longs for a drink of refreshing water, so I pray that I will desire to be in the Lord's presence. Just as He is waiting for me to draw near, so too He waits for you. Will you 'pant' for the Lord today?

No comments: