"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Servant Heart


Philippians 2:6-8 "Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross!"

Being a servant and thinking of others may not come easily to us. I heard one of my nieces today comment to her sister, "It isn't all about you." To which her sister replied the same statement back to her. Both of them knew the right thing to say in the sense of looking out for the other person, but yet they twisted it to get what they could out of the situation for themselves instead.

I too was faced with multiple opportunities to be a servant today. Some of them I faced well and had a good attitude. Others I didn't do quite so well. I did what was asked of me, but sometimes grumbled in my heart. To God that is no different than outright saying it. At times I forget that. I think that as long as I respond or act right on the outside, then it is all right. But it isn't.

To truly be a servant, we need to follow Jesus' example. Can you think of how humbling it would be being God, but still choosing to come to this world as a defenseless baby? He served others his whole adult life, even to the point of his death. He didn't do the right thing just on the outward, but did it in his heart as well. It's easy to say and do what is expected when others are watching, but how do you do when you are alone. How are your thoughts? Are there times when you outwardly help and serve people, but it doesn't carry through to your heart? Are you willing to consistently have a servant's heart? This season is a great time to start.

ACTIVITY
Make a conscious decision to work on having a servant heart this Christmas season.

PRAYER
Father, help me to know what it means to serve others in all I do, not just in my actions. Amen.

No comments: