"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Welcome Marilyn Turk. How did you develop a 'love of story'?

As I often say, I don’t create a story, I discover it. Sometimes I feel like an archaeologist finding an artifact from a lost civilization. To me, the story is already there, lying within the setting. So I love it when I’m writing the story and wonder if a particular situation could have happened during that time, and research shows that it did.

Another exciting thing I love about writing is finding myself writing a scene I didn’t expect, but I followed the characters and they surprised me. That’s happens because my characters have their own personalities and apparently, their own will. To a non-writer, that may sound strange, but I’ve heard many writers say the same thing. Sometimes, I’ve even said things to my husband like, “Guess what John did today?” He used to ask who John was. Now he knows I’m talking about a character in my book.

LOL. I love that and experience the same connectivity to my characters. :) Who are your favorite authors?

My favorite authors are Lynn Austin , Ann Tatlock, and Dan Walsh. I used to read a lot of John Grisham, but that was before I started reading Christian fiction.

Sounds like some good ones. :) How does faith play a part in your writing?

I truly believe God gives me the stories to write. I don’t think I create the story. I believe God lets me discover the story he’s telling me.

I love that thought! Tell us about your new book.

 The Gilded Curse is set in 1942, and is about young heiress Alexandra Smithfield who is the last surviving member of her family, and her visit to the family’s prestigious vacation cottage at the Jekyll Island Club with plans to sell it. She hasn’t been to the island since she was a child because after her father’s hunting accident there ten years before, her mother believed the island was cursed. Alexandra (Lexie) knows now that her mother suffered from mental illness, but after some mysterious happenings on the island, Lexie wonders if there was any truth to her mother’s fears. Club superintendent Russell Thompson knows the truth about Lexie’s family, but he’s sworn to secrecy. However, Russell finds himself attracted to Lexie and wants to protect her from whoever is threatening her safety and help her find out why. In the process, the two of them must dispel the curse.

Sound intriguing. What are you working on now?

I’ve written two and a half books in a four-book series. I’m in the process of editing the second one and writing the third one. Book One, Rebel Light, begins in 1865 at the beginning at the Civil War. The other three pick up after the war.

I love historical fiction. What is your passion as a writer?

I’m passionate about commitment. I feel obligated to write the stories God has given me. I’m also passionate about showing how my protagonist learns something important, a life-changing lesson by the end of the story.

I make sure my characters learn lessons along the way too. Many times God shows me something as well through the writing process. :) What is your most difficult writing challenge?

Time management and organization. I am usually involved in several projects at once, and have difficulty devoting enough time to my novels. I am easily distracted (by myself) and must restrain myself from going down rabbit trails, especially when I do research. Since I write historical fiction, research is important to the story, so there’s a balance necessary between research and writing.

I can relate. I can easily get side-tracked with bunny trails with research and also struggle with time management and organization. Is there a book you read that you had wished you'd written?

All three books in the Refiner’s Fire series by Lynn Austin. I love to read stories set during the Civil War, and these were great books.

It sounds like an intriguing series. Thank you for stopping by today for a visit, Marilyn.

Don't forget to leave a comment for this month's drawing. Next week Susanne Dietze will be here. You won't want to miss it.

No comments: