"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hungry for God's Word

"Taste and see that the LORD is good;
       blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." Psalm 34:8


We have had an abundance of activity at out bird feeders as of late. They flutter, hop, chirp, and fly as they eagerly await their turn at the sustenance that has been provided for them. Some patiently sit on the sidelines, while others push and shove their way to the food. All of them desire the same thing - a meal.

As it gets closer to fall and winter each year, there seems to be much more interest in the feeders, then other times throughout the seasons. I suppose it is the instinct that God has built into these creatures, to start bulking up and preparing for the winter ahead. I know that we go through much more bird seed during this time.

While watching my fine-feathered friends, I couldn't help but think, wonder and question whether or not I have the same attitude that these birds have. Do I eagerly desire to be in God's presence and to learn from His Word? Is God's Word something that I seek with my whole heart? Am I content to sit on the sidelines when it comes to studying God's Word or am I actively seeking out what He has for me? Some definite food for thought today! :)

No comments: