"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, April 9, 2010

Joy

"You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand." Psalm 16:11   

There is a joyful sound in my home this evening - the sound of young men playing video games, laughing, and having a good time together. Early this morning (in the wee hours) we picked up our oldest son at the airport in Baltimore. He flew home this weekend to help celebrate his younger brother's birthday, a little early. We didn't return to our home until 4 AM. It has been a joy to see my oldest son. We haven't seen him since, close to the end of January. 

Both of my sons had plans to go to a church activity together this evening. We found out at the last minute, that the event was canceled. This allowed us opportunity to have a more leisurely meal, to celebrate my youngest son's early birthday. Afterward two of my sons' friends arrived for an evening of playing video games.

At the moment, I am hearing a lot of laughter and joy coming from our living room. It's a pleasant sound. I enjoy hearing them laugh and have a good time together fellowshiping and experiencing male bonding. 

I have been especially thinking lately about joy. I have shared some recently on this blog, as well as my other one, about the joy I have been experiencing through returning to the passion that God has given me to write. I have had tremendous joy and excitement. I truly believe that when we are following in the passion that God has placed in our hearts, we sense this overflowing joy. It is something that we cannot contain, but it just spills out of of lives.

I talked with my friend in Georgia yesterday, concerning this topic. I was expressing the joy that I have been feeling. She commented that my joy was contagious. Even though she doesn't have a passion to write like I do, she still was affected by my joy. I can't help but wonder if this isn't the way that God desires for us to be as Christians. When we are truly following the passion He has placed in us, we have a joy that is contagious. It spills out onto others, causing them to see what it truly means to be a Christian. Is your joy showing?

No comments: