"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, February 18, 2010

I'm Glad God Doesn't Need Sticky Notes!

"Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;" Isaiah 49:15-16a

I keep the sticky note companies in business. Even with having a daily calendar, (all right I have at least two places) where I record activities and things that need to be accomplished. I still seem to rely on these little slips of paper to keep me organized. Often they are used to remind myself of important things - pay bills, take care of pressing paperwork, return a phone call, or some other item I don't want to forget to do.

Most of the time, these notes are stuck to our kitchen table. But they also can be found sticking to counters, the dashboard in our vehicles, a mirror, my calendar, on a book, etc. The problem is that these little pieces of paper aren't always very sticky. Then there are times when a family member (who shall remain unnamed) moves one or throws it away.

I don't know if it is a sign of old age, the stage of life that I'm in, or having too many things on my calendar, that cause me to be more forgetful. With the aid of these sticky notes, I often am able to stay on top of things, but not always. From time to time things slip by my attention...or perhaps lack of attention.

It is a comfort to me that God is all powerful and all knowing. He doesn't need pieces of paper with reminders written on them - tell Jodie that I love her, don't forget to send some more snow to PA, stir James' heart so he makes a decision to follow me. God is capable of taking care of all of us at the same time. He doesn't forget. He doesn't get frazzled or stressed. He isn't overwhelmed by circumstances.

Perhaps when I choose to rest in His arms, I can experience some of those things as well. When I draw close to Him, I become less stressed, frazzled and overwhelmed. This brings more peace and joy in my life, which in turn helps me not to be as forgetful.

No comments: